||Oracle Tips by Burleson
Disk I/O Tuning
Tuning In Windows
Below the drop-down,
you will see Current Transfer Mode. This should display
Ultra DMA Mode 2, 4 or 5 depending on your system
If DMA if available
is already set, but the transfer mode shows PIO, toggle the setting
by selecting PIO Only and click OK, then repeat the above
Enable IDE Block Mode
in the system BIOS. This will allow the system to do multiple
read/write operations simultaneously to improve throughput.
This will probably involve rebooting and then using the system
specific keystrokes to enable your BIOS editor. This can be
called Block Mode, IDE Block Mode or Multi-Sector Transfer. The
setting for this range is from 0 to 32 sectors. You need to
verify that your drive will support this mode. In a single
read/write operation, the higher the settings the more blocks
transferred, thereby reducing the load on the system.
Make sure hard drives
are not slaves to CD-ROMS or other ATA-EIDE devices. Hard
drives should always be the masters on an EIDE chain (usually
the last drive in the chain is the master with cable-select).
The above text is
an excerpt from:
Oracle Disk I/O Tuning
Disk IO Performance & Optimization for Oracle
by Mike Ault
can offer world-class remote Oracle database support at super-affordable prices.
Oracle DBA service provides 100% of the remote Oracle database administration
needs for your company, and includes 24x7 access to our staff of 100% OCP
Certified Oracle DBAs.
We require a 12 month service commitment and include the following services:
- Initial configuration review and problem identification
- Installation of Oracle statistics collection mechanisms and quarterly
database growth summaries
- Hourly monitoring of your Oracle database for pending problems
- Periodic performance analysis & identification of tuning activities
- Twenty Four hour Oracle emergency support
- Reporting and resolving all serious Oracle alert log messages
- Free use of the BC
- Quick response emergency support for production database outages
- Four hours of free remote DBA support every month. You can use these free
hours for any DBA activity, including database analysis, system design,
production migrations or personal mentoring.
information, please visit
www.oracle-training.cc or email email@example.com.