||Oracle Tips by Burleson
Disk I/O Tuning
Tuning In Windows
Make sure the fastest
hard drive is set as the master drive in an EIDE chain.
Adding additional RAM
will reduce the systems dependence on drive space for virtual
memory, thus improving throughput.
the physical disk level in Windows, you should implement a
defragmentation routine to make sure your drives are not fragmented.
Fragmentation in Windows is endemic to the operating system and
will occur, robbing you of up to 70% of your disk performance.
In one test, boot time went from over 15 minutes to less than 5
when the server’s disks were defragmented. Performance improvements
of a similar nature can be expected from your Oracle system if it is
located on ATA drives in Windows as well.
Figure 2-6 shows a screen capture from a seldom used Windows 2000
system drive (all data and file storage is done to a shared file
system). Notice even a lightly used drive is showing over 20%
fragmentation. On a laptop using NT4.0 SP6a, after two years of
work, the drive was 100% fragmented! No wonder performance was
The above text is
an excerpt from:
Oracle Disk I/O Tuning
Disk IO Performance & Optimization for Oracle
by Mike Ault
can offer world-class remote Oracle database support at super-affordable prices.
Oracle DBA service provides 100% of the remote Oracle database administration
needs for your company, and includes 24x7 access to our staff of 100% OCP
Certified Oracle DBAs.
We require a 12 month service commitment and include the following services:
- Initial configuration review and problem identification
- Installation of Oracle statistics collection mechanisms and quarterly
database growth summaries
- Hourly monitoring of your Oracle database for pending problems
- Periodic performance analysis & identification of tuning activities
- Twenty Four hour Oracle emergency support
- Reporting and resolving all serious Oracle alert log messages
- Free use of the BC
- Quick response emergency support for production database outages
- Four hours of free remote DBA support every month. You can use these free
hours for any DBA activity, including database analysis, system design,
production migrations or personal mentoring.
information, please visit
www.oracle-training.cc or email email@example.com.