||Oracle Tips by Burleson
Chapter 2 Grid, Utility
Computing and Clusters
The Nature of Grid
Grid Computing is an emerging infrastructure
that aims at providing a mechanism for sharing and coordinating the
use of diverse computing resources. The word ‘Grid’ is often used as
an analogy with the electric power grid, which provides pervasive
access to electricity.
As Grid Computing makes long strides and
impacts many organizations in the IT world with its utility-like
access to computational resources, a question remains in everyone’s
mind if Grid Computing can become similar to the Electric Power Grid
of the 20th century. While the state of Grid Computing is
still in its infancy, there are definite signs of similarities
according to Rajkumar Buyya and Madhu Chetty [1.2], the researchers
from University of Melbourne, Australia.
As seen in Table 2.1, there many apparent
similarities in the electric power grid infrastructure and
computational grid structure. However, the computational grid is
more varied and more complex than electric grid. The existence of
hardware components and user specific software components and
applications make all the difference. Nevertheless, the comparison
is worth noting.
For more information,
see the book
Grid and Real Application Clusters 30% off if you
buy it directly from Rampant TechPress .
Written by top Oracle
experts, this RAC book has a complete online code depot with
ready to use RAC scripts.
can offer world-class remote Oracle database support at super-affordable prices.
Oracle DBA service provides 100% of the remote Oracle database administration
needs for your company, and includes 24x7 access to our staff of 100% OCP
Certified Oracle DBAs.
We require a 12 month service commitment and include the following services:
- Initial configuration review and problem identification
- Installation of Oracle statistics collection mechanisms and quarterly
database growth summaries
- Hourly monitoring of your Oracle database for pending problems
- Periodic performance analysis & identification of tuning activities
- Twenty Four hour Oracle emergency support
- Reporting and resolving all serious Oracle alert log messages
- Free use of the BC
- Quick response emergency support for production database outages
- Four hours of free remote DBA support every month. You can use these free
hours for any DBA activity, including database analysis, system design,
production migrations or personal mentoring.
information, please visit
www.oracle-training.cc or email