||Oracle Tips by Burleson
Chapter 2 Grid, Utility
Computing and Clusters
Perception of Grid
The Grid is perceived as a source of free CPU
cycles. However, Grid computing does not imply unrestricted access
to resources; rather it is about controlled sharing. The CPU cycles
are normally used and controlled by resource policies defined. Usage
of such resources depends on group membership, ability to pay, and
Grid experts believe that the Grid makes
high-performance computers superfluous. The thousands of processors
that may be accessible within a Virtual Organization represent a
significant source of computational power. This does not imply,
however, that traditional high-performance computers are obsolete.
Where Are We on the Grid?
As the Grid is gradually moving into the
commercial world, many of the standards are finalized and many of
niche software players are churning out software components needed
for grid integration.
There are many IT vendors, in every aspect of
the grid technology, who have released various strategies and
solutions. The Fig. 2.3 gives an idea of various players in the grid
For more information,
see the book
Grid and Real Application Clusters 30% off if you
buy it directly from Rampant TechPress .
Written by top Oracle
experts, this RAC book has a complete online code depot with
ready to use RAC scripts.
can offer world-class remote Oracle database support at super-affordable prices.
Oracle DBA service provides 100% of the remote Oracle database administration
needs for your company, and includes 24x7 access to our staff of 100% OCP
Certified Oracle DBAs.
We require a 12 month service commitment and include the following services:
- Initial configuration review and problem identification
- Installation of Oracle statistics collection mechanisms and quarterly
database growth summaries
- Hourly monitoring of your Oracle database for pending problems
- Periodic performance analysis & identification of tuning activities
- Twenty Four hour Oracle emergency support
- Reporting and resolving all serious Oracle alert log messages
- Free use of the BC
- Quick response emergency support for production database outages
- Four hours of free remote DBA support every month. You can use these free
hours for any DBA activity, including database analysis, system design,
production migrations or personal mentoring.
information, please visit
www.oracle-training.cc or email